Future changes to the forum

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: Ade, prospero

Admin
Dragon

Future changes to the forum

Postby Admin » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:34 pm

As some of you are well aware, the forum and web site gets less and less visitors as each year goes by. As I gain no profit from this site this is becoming a drain on my finances and associated costs to maintain the site. The site is hosted on a Windows platform which generally is a lot more expensive than Linux / Unix. This gives me a few options. I'd be grateful if anyone can provide any feedback.

1) introduce advertising
Pros - I get money to pay for the site
Cons - Adverts are annoying. Not many visitors = not much money.

2) Move to a Unix Host
Pros - cheap and a LOT more features
Cons - will require forum to be scrapped and PHPBB used instead. Web site will have to be re-written in PHP instead of ASP.

3) Move to a cheaper Windows host
Pros - will not need to make any changes to the site and forum. I will be able to use an MS SQL database instead of Access.
Cons - None in the UK that offer this cheaper than my current host. Conversion from an Access database to SQLserver has a potential for completely bolloxing up. Very few webhosts offer reliable Windows hosting.

Currently my best option is to move to another host. I have already got the rest of the site re-written & working on a test server running UNIX with PHP 5 installed and it works well. The forum is the only issue. I'd like to dump Snitz and use PHPBB but this would mean loosing all posts which I don't really want to do.

I will be experimenting for a while as I have renewed for another year with my current host but I have a feeling they might drop Windows hosting altogether. I'm looking at kiwihosting.net in New Zealand as they are offering the perfect solution to all my problems. I will be in contact with them also to possibly move to them next year although sadly the reviews about them I found were mainly poor.

So for at least a year this site will be here but after that there will be some changes. I do not intend to scrap the site altogether.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:56 pm

Well, have you considered contributions from forum members? I would have no problem with that, since I have enjoyed these forums for FREE for a long time [:)].

Admin
Dragon

Postby Admin » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:51 pm

It's something I have thought of, yes but I don't like asking people for money. I could offer a donate system via paypal - it's something I may look into.

I looked at further options - so now I only have two choices;
1) leave everything as-is either on current host or new one
2) Move to UNIX and change forum to PHPBB (I will only do this if it can be done without loosing data, if not I'm not willing to start the forum from scratch again.

So at the moment it's looking like it's easier to leave as-is. I'd like to move away from the unreliable access 2000 database though so I will more than likley move to a cheaper host who offers SQL database support. If they can convert the database for me (it requires direct access to the server desktop) then I will do this. If not then when the database becomes too large, I can prune some old posts. It has only screwed up 3 times in 10 years which is pretty good but with large databases the chances of screwing up becomes greater. Ill just back it up more often.

Crawdaddy79
Dragon

Postby Crawdaddy79 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:38 am

There has to be a way to at least archive this. Talk to your host about it. The forum is an application that uses a database. You should be able to transport both to anywhere and have it still work.

Admin
Dragon

Postby Admin » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:44 pm

I managed to convert the database from Access to MYSQL but I have been trying for 6 hours now to get it uploaded onto the server. I am giving up on this now as UNIX / MYSQL is just too complicated - which is why I went for Windows in the first place.

The problem is the current database uses Access which is not supported at all on UNIX. It has to be converted to MYSQL then it may be imported into PHBPP. I'm sticking with the windows host for a year so it gives me plenty of time to mess with the test server.

EDIT: I have asked for support from my webhost as the only issue I'm having is being unable to import an existing MYSQL database, only create a new one. Once I get the database onto the server I can test if it all works and also choose which forum to use. I'm looking at using SMF instead of PHPBB as it's much easier to import data from Snitz.

It seems too much ****ing about at the moment so Ill wait and see. Updates will be posted on the fourm announcements category.

big truck
Dragon

Postby big truck » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:24 pm

[:)]

Even though I've not posted here for a very long time, I check the forum regularily and I am ready to help; I can finacially give a contribution, and/or offer space on my hoster. I personnally have no time today to care my own website[:I] but I think it would really be a pity to close this nice forum.

[:)]

Admin
Dragon

Postby Admin » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:36 pm

I finally got the damn thing working!!! At least now I know I can move the site to UNIX either next year or sooner if the need arises.

Test forum at http://www.adrian-smith31.co.uk/bbs with all users and data intact.

Feel free to give it a whirl (you will have to request a new password as they have all been reset) due to encyryption and hence could not be imported.

IrateGiant
Dragon

Postby IrateGiant » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:51 pm

I like the new forum style. I will miss the classic style of the forum and all the experiences in it. This is great news, you've managed to keep all the information. We are all part of this community and we wouldn´t want to disappear. Many thanks!

Admin
Dragon

Postby Admin » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:09 pm

I will try and match the style of the current forum tomorrow as I'm still experimenting with it. There are still one or two issues such as last post date not being displayed correctly. Also archived posts have not been imported; can't find a way around this but it only affects posts older than June 2007.

However it is only a test forum (for now) I wanted to see if it was possible to do this so I can move to UNIX in the future. The current server has a while before the hosting expires so it will be at least 10 months before I make the change unless something else crops up.

Switching to UNIX gives me much more freedom with what I want to do.

caravel
Whelp

Postby caravel » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:25 am

phpBB is the right way to go - well done in importing the db.

Your test board is getting overrun with bots because the default catcha in phpBB is useless. recaptcha is similarly crap. We installed this on my board and reduced the spam registrations by roughly 90%: http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/s ... cha_plugin

Good luck.

Ianna Keeper
Dragon

Postby Ianna Keeper » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:40 am

hey this is some serious news and I just hear it.[B)]
anyway good news is always good.[8D]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Re: Future changes to the forum

Postby prospero » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:03 pm

Just logged in to the new-look Forum. Had to delete my saved info in Chrome to log in with new password, but all seems well now. :D

Like the new look. The grey/blue format is the same as some other forums I use. :roll: Same smilies too.

Salutations to Ade for all the hard work. :P

Admin
Dragon

Re: Future changes to the forum

Postby Admin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:50 pm

Like the new look. The grey/blue format is the same as some other forums I use. :roll: Same smilies too.

Salutations to Ade for all the hard work. :P
I have added some different styles / format which can be changed in your user profile. The forum will stay as the default blue / grey but will change to your chosen format when you log in. As for smilies Ill see what I can do.

Return to “Severance BoD: Help / Game Discussion”