An other one like Severance

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: Ade, prospero

brian
Dragon

Postby brian » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:07 am

hey bla,

That was a great read.
I'm curious as to how you found the multiplayer aspect of Dark Souls? In the videos I've seen they created some innovative ideas, such as the blood markers which players can leave as a guide (or trick if they're feeling mean).
In practise though, is the multiplayer side of Dark Souls any good?

I would love it if Dark Souls came to PC. I think I read somewhere that its sequel may come to PC.

bla
Whelp

Postby bla » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:18 pm

I didn't mentioned it because I don't play online, but I've seen some videos and there are encounters with npcs that simulate online fights.

In this game online is played "inside" the campaign. Your character is undead but can regain his humanity. When you are in human form you can invade another player's world (game), be invaded or request/offer assistance prior to a boss (co-op). You can also read small hints left from other players like you mentioned. Then there are covenants (kinda like guilds) with an underlying moral system that usually change the rules of online engagment.
Say you are a cleric and you join the blade of the darkmoon covenant (chaotic good). As you rank up by offering a specific item you gain access to some nifty miracles, which are handy because you are a cleric.
Usually the item offered to rank up in a covenant is a reward for online victories while a member of that covenant.

Online interaction seems deep: there are ways to rank messages (and receive rewards?), indict players who have betrayed their covenant, protect areas from other players etc. etc. but there doesn't seem to be any imediate arena type 1 vs 1 thing.
This particular covenant seems to be all about chasing the guilty (players who betrayed their covenants) defeating them and bringing back a severed ear as proof to rank in the covenant. Getting said item offline is hard because you only get one or two each playthrough.

Another note: dark souls is, from the videos I've seen of demon souls, demon souls 2 or even 1.5, they just named it dark souls. Same style, gameplay, movements, enemies, developer. But demon souls is ps3 only (I bought a x-box on purpose for dark souls as I coudn't wait a year or worst forever). I still hope dark souls comes out for pc, though I doubt it.

Comment on skyrim: Didn't play it yet, solely because of how combat looked. The game seems to have other merits though... just not combat

Blackbeard
Dragon

Postby Blackbeard » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:44 pm

i'd say its "souls 2" if any. but dark souls is sort of a spinoff from demons souls, they dont take place in the same world nor is the lore connected.
so if you havent played demons souls youre not gonna miss anything.

bla
Whelp

Postby bla » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:18 pm

I knew story-wise demon and dark souls are unrelated, but they do seem to play very similarly

Blackbeard
Dragon

Postby Blackbeard » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:57 pm

yeah the gameplay is similar.

turok
Hatchling

Postby turok » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:31 pm

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

brian
Dragon

Postby brian » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:26 pm

welcome turok [:)]
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is getting decent reviews. I like its character customisation. The combat feels better in it too, though not as good as BoD.
I only tried the demo though so maybe it improves as you progress.

bla
Whelp

Postby bla » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:22 pm

Has anyone played kingdoms of amalur? The combat is a bit flashy and there seems to be too many quick time events, but it does seem solid... Any impressions?

sfb
Dragon

Postby sfb » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:48 am

Hey guys just thought i'd post this interesting link here http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/3181 ... ouls-on-pc

Looks like we might be getting Dark Souls for the pc after all...fingers crossed..

cheers
sfb

brian
Dragon

Postby brian » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:15 pm

Yeah, going by this news it looks like they're going to announce dark souls for the PC.[8D]

Extispex
Whelp

Postby Extispex » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:46 pm

Skyrim is great, but the combat system isn't very good. I went the sneaky route and run around doing massive sneak attack damage with bows [8D]

Amalur is a good game too. A bit on the easy side. The combat is better than Skyrim's but nowhere near as good as BoD's. There are attack chains that you can expand on by unlocking advanced moves with ability points, but with the whole autoaim thing going on, it's a bit button mashy.
You can also combine different weapons to make combos. I haven't tried that yet, as all you really need is the Meteor spell [;)][:D]

A game I haven't seen mentioned here is Risen. I think it's combat system is very good. It takes a bit of practice and timing to master it. I's a couple of years old, so you can get it cheaply on Xbox Marketplace and Steam.
Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MBGnDjgpD0

Edit: Risen 2 is coming out this year. Don't know if it's any good yet [:)]

Kurgan
Hatchling

Postby Kurgan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:45 pm

Does Dark Souls allow a lock on/Circle your opponent system?

bla
Whelp

Postby bla » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:06 am

Yes. Some enemies - usually bosses - are at times better fought without lock on, and many pros don't it use as much as it makes for less restricted movement but yes, lock on is the bread and butter of the game

sfb
Dragon

Postby sfb » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:59 am

It's official...
"At Namco Bandai's Global Gamers Day event, the publisher revealed that the long-expected PC version of FROM Software's notoriously difficult Dark Souls will launch on August 24th 2012, a global release schedule for a digital download offering of the game which specifically included Australiasia."

bla
Whelp

Postby bla » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:26 am

And to top it off, it's going to feature more content, that supposedly is also coming to consoles in the form of dlc. Seems good. But also a little bittersweet for me seeing as I bought a console to play the game. Oh well...

Return to “Severance BoD: Help / Game Discussion”