TV Sadness

Discuss Drakan: The Ancient's Gates with other players (no spoilers please!)
Faerith
Dragon

TV Sadness

Post by Faerith »

So.. my old CRT television broke a month ago, and I got a VGA box to play it on my old CRT monitor.. only problem is, the image quality is quite blurry.. Playable but it's just sort of frustrating.. Also where I am in the world we don't sell new CRT type tv anymore.. I just hope they dont phase out all of the old televisions now or ps2 uses are in for it.

So it's really quite frustrating if you want to play TAG again and it's all fuzzy like elmo..

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

The PS2's work fine on flat screen TV's however the image quality is not as good as a CRT due to the low res PS2 output scaled to fit a 720p or 1080p panel. Its still playable though and helps a lot if you use the component lead rather than the standard composite lead that comes with the console. It's not high-def but you get a better signal quality over component. A good quality TV such as Panasonic or Sony helps too; some of the cheap LCD TV's look horrendous even on normal TV.

There are a lot of people who use Xbox 360's & PS3's on flat screen TV's with the standard cable that comes with the console. They do not bother to purchase a HDMI or component lead and probably aren't aware that the standard lead does not give you high def. I work with audio visual stuff and you would not believe the amount of people who purchase a high def set top box or blue ray player and then connect it to their 50" HDTV with a composite cable or even worse RF! The problem is compounded by tight arse manufacturers that don't give you a free HDMI lead in the box the console/blu-ray player comes in.

Faerith
Dragon

Post by Faerith »

So, basically if I want to get a semi decent picture I have to youse the Y/PB/PR config... Hopefully it's not the same as the standard rgb then, or i'll be quite sad x.x