Reshade and upscaled/altered texture mod

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

sfb
Dragon

Reshade and upscaled/altered texture mod

Postby sfb » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:19 am

Hi all,

I've been working on a Reshade preset that's performance friendly, doesn't stray from the original BOD look too much but adds some DOF and HDR.

I'm also slightly upscaling textures to 256x256 and adding some lighting/bump map effects through GIMP.

I using the nglide 3dfx wrapper from Zeus (gog) as it has the best performance (no light source stutter) and good color representation.

Unfortunately as you're all aware it can't handle larger than 256x256 textures, but even raising 64 and 128 textures to 256 makes a difference.

I'm also forcing 16 AA/AN and fxaa through the nvidia control panel and using DSR for better overall game texture resolution. On my 144hz monitor with titan 1080ti it sits on 125fps (BOD doesn't go higher than this) and is very smooth.

I hope to have something out soon on MODDB.

Apologies to anyone I haven't responded to via this forum, especially MBK regarding my last reshade post. The latest reshade works well on win 10 but it does not support mouse operation. So it's important to make sure the performance tab is unticked on the bottom right hand corner so you can manually edit the settings in real time. Also using TAB, SPACE, ESC and a few other keys will let you navigate the reshade software without mouse input. It's a little bit tricky at first but becomes rather easy after a few tries. It helps rebinding some of those keys in BOD to other keys as they will become annoying after a while when trying to edit the reshade settings.

I've added an attachment containing a shield that's upscaled with lighting and bump mapping applied. It doesn't look good on static objects but on weapons and dynamic objects it looks great.

Anyway, back to work.
Cheers,
SFB
Attachments
3ESCUDO1-editnewNEW1.jpeg
3ESCUDO1-editnewNEW1.jpeg (15.43 KiB) Viewed 370 times

SrRaulCL
Whelp

Re: Reshade and upscaled/altered texture mod

Postby SrRaulCL » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:55 am

I have experienced enough with ReShade. You can also use it together ENB. The problem is that much slowdown is generated and the game becomes very demanding. Here you can watch a video of Reshade + ENB + Ray Tracing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB-sHVTRCPw

You can use the ReShade "AdaptativeSharpen" filter to scratch the textures a bit more quality.
In this video I also use weapons, 3D and generic objects (potions and others) of higher quality textures. This is the most I have come to increase the quality.

My PCs are an I5 6500 + GTX 1070 (a good team) and if you look up you will see how the fps fall a lot, although most of the slowdown is generated by Ray Tracing. The problem is this, is it worth making Blade so demanding?

sfb
Dragon

Postby sfb » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:06 pm

I've used both ENB and reshade in the past but I much prefer reshade. It has much better performance compared to ENB.

I have light foreground and background DOF with some nice HDR, adaption followed by some lumasharpen. It only costs about 20 fps all up so I can maintain around 90-100 fps even in hectic scenes, still at 4x DSR mind you as well. Looks good, plays well and i'm pretty happy with it.

Opengl performs well but I still feel 3dfx nglide performs the best, but yes the texture quality is lower.

Hopefully someone will remake BOD soon so we can stop with all the modifications but until then it's nice to have some small upgrades.

cheers,
SFB

SrRaulCL
Whelp

Postby SrRaulCL » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:46 pm

If you want to try something new I recommend these 3:

- AdaptativeSharpen: to achieve even sharper and clearer textures.
- SMAA: it´s a perfect antialiasing in OpenGL.
- qUINT Bloom: it is an adaptable Bloom according to the level of light and visibility. It works perfect for me.You can download it from the ReShade forum.

Here you can see how they all work together with my textures in HD, all in OpenGL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-og8rICH1w&t=279s

It looks at the beginning of the video

sfb
Dragon

Postby sfb » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:00 pm

Your clips look good, especially the lighting.

I've tried SMA and adaptive sharpen but I ended up ditching them for lumasharpen and some FXA for performance. I couldn't really tell the difference to be honest.

I will give the qUINT files a go, I'm especially interested in the lightroom feature.

Cheers,
SFB

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”